Monday, May 16, 2011

In Search of the Sunrise: Part IV

Two young men's continuing quest for that most elusive Hawaiian beast, a sunrise un-obscured by clouds.

And once again, we did not manage to find one. I'm beginning to believe that there are always clouds  on the south-eastern horizon in the morning, even when the rest of the sky is crystal clear. At this point, I'm not sure it is possible to see an un-obscured sunrise, at least not without checking obsessively every morning.

On the other hand, a sunrise behind the right clouds can be just as beautiful as one entirely visible, if not more so. The huge, puffy cumulus on the south-eastern horizon made giant, slowly-changing shapes as the sun rose lazily behind them, peeking cheerfully through the raggedy patches and holes found here and there in the great dark masses of clouds, and glinting dully on the placid surface of the sea.

Looking out to the south-east over Hilo bay.


(By the way, if you think my blog looks wider than before, you're correct: I finally found the option to widen it, allowing me to display pictures a little larger so they can be better seen.) The sun never did come out of the clouds, but still looked nice as it climbed into the sky:


Jonathan and I haven't decided yet whether to try again, or whether this is likely to be as good as it gets. As the summer solstice approaches dawn come earlier and earlier, and it gets correspondingly harder to get out of bed . We'll see what happens, I think he did mention another site we could try in the future.


Ke Akua pū, a hui hou kākou! (May God be with you, until we meet again!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Think I said something interesting or insightful? Let me know what you thought! Or even just drop in and say "hi" once in a while - I always enjoy reading comments.