Thursday, March 10, 2011

Tsunami day!

Well, by now you may have seen the news that a magnitude 8.9 earthquake struck off the north-east coast of Japan about 7:46 PM local time on Thursday, and we now have a tsunami warning in effect for the entire island chain. The tsunami sirens went off at 10 o’ clock, and will probably be going off every hour on the hour till the warning is lifted or the tsunami hits, which is predicted to be about 3 AM Friday morning. Thankfully, we're located outside the evacuation zone, far enough that I'm not too worried about it. In fact, I'm most excited about the possibility of not having school tomorrow. Tsunami day!

Further updates as conditions warrant, i.e., I'll let you know tomorrow how it went. Hopefully it will be like last year, a rather boring and uneventful happening, and we'll simply get a school-free day out of it.

2 comments:

  1. Have you seen the devastation in Japan? Unbelievable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen it, but I've read about it, and considering it's the most powerful earthquake ever to hit Japan...

    ReplyDelete

Think I said something interesting or insightful? Let me know what you thought! Or even just drop in and say "hi" once in a while - I always enjoy reading comments.