Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Just Playin’ in the Snow

Today's blog is more of a whimsical illustrated adventure, with photographs instead of illustrations. Saturday I went on a summit tour up to Mauna Kea, and there was still some snow left unmelted. Since I could probably count the number of times I've played in the snow on both hands and feet (demonstration of that fact: I learned it's a really bad idea to handle snow on the summit of Mauna Kea without some form of gloves on your hands), I proceeded to take a little time right before heading down to make a tiny snowman!

Tah-dah!
I was carrying him with me down the mountain in the tour vehicle, when I saw someone else had left another, slightly larger snowman near one of the buildings, and I realized what I should do with my creation. I didn't have much time because we needed to get down for dinner, so I took off running to pad my snowman with a little more snow and place him before I had to go. I didn't realize the guide had grabbed my camera and started snapping away...

Snowman placement is serious business!
“Why hello there, lonely snowman! Care for a companion?”
“There you go, little snowman!”
That's when I realized I was on camera.
 Hey look, it's Maui in the background on the left!

2 comments:

  1. I love it! I want to make a snowman now.
    I especially love the part where you have more snow in Hawaii than we do here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We've actually had way, way less snow that usual, too. Normally Mauna Kea is snow-capped from December to April, and this year it's only snowed a few times, and mostly melted in between.

    ReplyDelete

Think I said something interesting or insightful? Let me know what you thought! Or even just drop in and say "hi" once in a while - I always enjoy reading comments.