Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Powers of 10

Yesterday on the awesome Astronomy Picture of the Day (APOD) website, they had a very cool video from the 1960's dealing with the sheer range of scales of the universe we inhabit.


Check it out, it takes about 9 minutes to run but is practically guaranteed to change the way you look at the universe, both on the macro- and microscopic scales. It also happens to be of quite (if I may indulge) stellar quality.

It's also cool in me in my dual role of physicist/astronomer, because I know and care for things on both extremes of that scale. I thought the rendering of the atoms as an indeterminate flurry of motion was particularly awesome.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I've been looking for this video for years! I watched in junior high (I guess that dates me). Definitely school material for today.
    Have a great day. Mom

    ReplyDelete

Think I said something interesting or insightful? Let me know what you thought! Or even just drop in and say "hi" once in a while - I always enjoy reading comments.