Wednesday, February 16, 2011

February the 14th

So, I completely forgot to mention the date on Monday. Yes, the 14th of February is the day that we celebrate some of those things that bring joy into our lives, and the man responsible for it all. I'm talking, of course, about National Ferris Wheel Day, named after the brilliant American engineer George Washington Gale Ferris, Jr. His brainchild the original Ferris Wheel was conceived in response to a challenge by the directors of the 1893 World's Columbian Exposition as something to match the Eiffel Tower, which had been unveiled in 1889. Things took off from there, and there are now hundreds of ferris wheels to be found across the globe. Try and ride one next Ferris Wheel Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Think I said something interesting or insightful? Let me know what you thought! Or even just drop in and say "hi" once in a while - I always enjoy reading comments.