Monday, August 30, 2010

Random errata (is that redundant?)

Ouch. You know what hurts worse than walking a mile uphill to school while sore all over? Walking a mile downhill from school while sore all over. I don't pretend to know the muscles involved, but it hurts a lot more going in a downward direction. (Thus providing more support for my firm belief that it's going downhill that's the hard part; going uphill is a snap, comparatively. At least, it is for me. I've only met a few people that agree with me on this point.)

I've blogged before about my love of \(\LaTeX\), the document markup language that takes what you write and makes it look beautiful. While writing my first homework assignment for Thermodynamics this morning, I stumbled upon a cool package for it that let you write chemical formulae and equations simply and naturally. Alas, despite my best efforts, I was unable to install it because of the exceedingly simple fact that the program was looking online for a repository with the .tar.bz2 extension, while the actual repository had the .tar.lzma extension (it took me over an hour to find this out, after trying every conceivable way to manually install it). Needless to say, I was bit bummed, as it would have reduced the work needed to write CO\(_2\) everywhere it would be needed in the paper. (In case you're wondering, \(\LaTeX\) can handle writing CO\(_2\) just fine, it just means an extra couple of commands each time I want to write it.)

Tonight my Hawaiian teacher is having our class over for a party, so I made cookies to take. Hooray for cookie sheets! My cooking repertoire is vastly improved now that I have some. And hot-pads to handle them with, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Think I said something interesting or insightful? Let me know what you thought! Or even just drop in and say "hi" once in a while - I always enjoy reading comments.