Friday, January 29, 2010

A gift of the heavens.

Aloha kakou,
Sorry for the long delay between posting. I have been quite busy with homework recently, and when done, I don't really feel like doing anything (actually, being truly 'done' is unlikely to happen till Spring Break, at least).
 
There has been one interesting tidbit of news recently, however: I have the opportunity to do research with one of my professors, Dr. Marianne Takamiya, on one of her research projects on the effects of extinction on the reported rate of star formation in low- to medium-redshift galaxies. She mentioned that any students interested in helping should come talk to her, and so while I was seeing her about a homework problem, I casually asked what kind of research she was doing. The result was an impromptu half-hour presentation and an on-the-spot offer to get involved. Needless to say, I was blown away. Not every day does an opportunity to do undergraduate research with long-term involvement present itself, and especially not an opportunity that practically forces itself upon you. She's already talking about teaching me UNIX and IRAF (a package of data-reduction tools used by professional astronomers). And from what I gather, it will involve me working with quite a few pictures of big, beautiful spiral galaxies, matching and overlaying data from the visible, near infrared, and radio regions. This really is a remarkable opportunity; all I can say is soli Deo gloria. I will be sure to keep you all informed about how this progresses (and when I know more about it myself).
 
 A hui hou!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Think I said something interesting or insightful? Let me know what you thought! Or even just drop in and say "hi" once in a while - I always enjoy reading comments.