Tuesday, December 24, 2019

Merry Christmas! Have a Titan Fact.

Merry Christmas everyone! This year I volunteered on the Astrobites hiring committee, which was an interesting experience, though we're still in the process of sending out invites so I won't say too much more about it just yet. In the process, though, I learned a rather cool fact about Titan, the largest moon of Saturn, which I thought I'd pass on: mountains and mountain ranges on Titan are all named after mountains and mountain ranges from the works of J. R. R. Tolkien. (Specifically, ones found in Middle Earth.) So yes, Doom Mons exists, and is quite possibly a cryovolcano, too! While writing this I also discovered that hills on Titan are named after characters from Middle Earth. As a big lover of Tolkien, I just thought that was a fun fact to share. Mele Kalikimaka everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Think I said something interesting or insightful? Let me know what you thought! Or even just drop in and say "hi" once in a while - I always enjoy reading comments.