Monday, February 11, 2013

A Long Day of...Not Work.

I got in to work this morning only to be informed that the internal office network was down, barring everyone from logging on to their computers and bringing productive work to a screeching halt (except for the people with laptops and stuff able to be done on them). We weren't sure how long it would take to fix, so everyone waited around (more or less) the whole morning, before our boss told everyone not to bother hurrying back from lunch since it didn't look like it was going to be fixed very soon. After a nice relaxing two-hour lunch break I spent another hour twiddling my thumbs and reading up on a book about the Perl scripting language one of my coworker had lent me, before our boss finally called it a day at afternoon tea and sent everyone home early.

So that was an interesting experience. Hopefully things will be back to working tomorrow, and I can find out if my projects I left running over the weekend finished successfully.

(Edit: Thankfully, my computer was back up and running by Tuesday, and everything else was up by Wednesday, so I managed to still be fairly productive this week.)

1 comment:

  1. That sounds my job most of the time... hard to tutor students who don't show up. Nice that you got some reading done!

    ReplyDelete

Think I said something interesting or insightful? Let me know what you thought! Or even just drop in and say "hi" once in a while - I always enjoy reading comments.