Monday, January 1, 2024

New year, new beginnings

I've been sitting on this for a few weeks now, but with the turn of the new year I finally feel up to writing about it. Near the beginning of December, I learned that my three-year contract with Gemini, which ends in October, is not going to be renewed. As usual with me, funding seems to be the issue; I started on a fixed-term contract because that was all that my team could get funding for, with the hope that perhaps it could be extended in the future. The Powers That Be don't seem inclined to fund data reduction for Gemini, however, so as of October I'll have finished my employment there (unless something changes between now and then, of course).

Objectively speaking, I don't think bringing someone in to work on your highly specialized software for three years and then letting them and all their acquired institutional knowledge go is a particularly far-thinking move, but them's the breaks. Personally speaking, I had been hoping to finally be able to work at a job for more than three years, but that remains an accomplishment beyond my grasp. (Graduate school is similar-to-but-not-really a job, though it does remain the longest I've worked at a single place, at four years.)

So, as I write this on the first of January 2024, I have no idea where I'll be or what I'll be doing a year from now. Time to start polishing my résumé and checking the job market again. (I do, at least, appreciate being given a ten-month advance warning.) We'll just have to see where I end up in twelve months. A hui hou!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Think I said something interesting or insightful? Let me know what you thought! Or even just drop in and say "hi" once in a while - I always enjoy reading comments.