Saturday, December 26, 2020

Christmas Planets, 2020

Merry Christmas everyone! I've got a Christmas video for you this year. I'd been hoping to see the Great Conjunction of Jupiter and Saturn this year, with their closest approach for over 800 years on December 21st, but Melbourne's weather took a turn for the cloudy for more than a week around that date. However, I noticed Christmas evening that the clouds were finally starting to clear out, so on a whim I set up my GoPro to get a timelapse, and caught not just Jupiter and Saturn but Mars and the Moon too. The two gas giants are a bit hard to see in the video, but were clearly visible to the naked eye when I came out to look when it got dark. They're already pulling apart again, but at least I got to see them so soon after closest approach. Hope your Christmases everywhere were as merry as can be this year! A hui hou!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Think I said something interesting or insightful? Let me know what you thought! Or even just drop in and say "hi" once in a while - I always enjoy reading comments.