Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Vegemite

As the saying goes, “when in Oz, do as the Aussies do,” (or was that Rome? No matter) and as a result I've taken to eating Vegemite. I was actually given some to try my fourth day here, and it's really not half bad, certainly not as bad as I'd been led to believe…if taken in moderation.

For the sake of any of my fellow Americans who decide to try it, I've attached the following picture to show you how to apply it:

  1. The slice of bread on the right has butter. This is what you want for your base.
  2. The slice on the left has butter, and less than the size of a pea's worth of Vegemite. This is the correct amount to apply. Actually, even that may be a bit thick. A little goes a very long way.
  3. The slice in the back has Nutella. Do not apply Vegemite that thickly. It will not end well for you.
The best description I've heard is that Vegemite is basically like spreadable soy sauce, and it's an apt comparison: both are extremely salty foods that can spice up otherwise-boring foodstuffs if applied in moderation. It'll probably take me about forty-seven years to get through that jar at the rate I eat it, so I should be set for life. Let me know in the comments if any of you have any personal experience with Vegemite! A hui hou!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Think I said something interesting or insightful? Let me know what you thought! Or even just drop in and say "hi" once in a while - I always enjoy reading comments.