Sunday, March 4, 2018

Bouncy Burgers

While food-shopping on my way home from church this afternoon, I found this in the meat section:

The picture speaks for itself.
Naturally, I couldn't pass up the opportunity to sample an indigenous species. I picked them up and fried up two for lunch. Despite a tragic lack of dill pickle hamburger chips in this country and the necessity of slicing my own (it's the little things that make you homesick), I thought the resulting burgers came out pretty nicely:

I like how you pretty much can't see the burger patties in this shot. Great framing, me!
The verdict: …hmmm. I don't mind the flavor—in fact, thinking back I can barely remember a distinct flavor from the burgers. I was less thrilled with the texture. I'm not sure if it's a result of how I cooked them or what, but they seemed sort of…I guess “mushy” is the best word I can think of to describe it. Perhaps it's just that I was subconsciously expecting beef and that wasn't what I got that made it seem less than satisfactory; I'm still not sure. It was a rather confusing culinary experience. Luckily it was a four-pack of patties though so I've got four more to try to make up my mind. Maybe they just need cooking differently, or maybe I won't mind it as much if I'm expecting it. We'll just have to see! A hui hou!

Edit (3/16/18): I had the rest of the burgers a few days later, and definitely noticed the taste this time. I wouldn't say I really liked it, but it wasn't objectionable either. I've had some people tell me that burgers really isn't the best way to have kangaroo, so perhaps I'll have to try some other form of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Think I said something interesting or insightful? Let me know what you thought! Or even just drop in and say "hi" once in a while - I always enjoy reading comments.