Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Made it to Melbourne!

Well, I made it to Melbourne safely. I've spent the past few days recovering from two days of travel and getting over jet-lag—even the mere 4-hour time difference between Hilo and Melbourne has been making me tired very early in the evening and waking me up while it's still dark.
However, I'm getting over that, and yesterday I took the train into the Swinburne campus to start the enrollment process and officially get started on my Ph.D. in astrophysics.

That's the building I'll be in.
There's a lot to take in here in Australia. It's colder than I was expecting, even though I saw the forecasts—I'd just forgotten what it was like to have the temperature be cold all the time, and I find myself already pining for the comforting warmth and humidity of the tropics (and looking forward to moving back there as soon as possible).

The view from my desk.
I could go on about a lot of things, but I'm still getting tired fairly early and requiring a lot of sleep, so I'll save it for another post. (Hopefully I can get my computer through customs and set up soon so I can use a real keyboard again rather than my phone!) Anyway, a hui hou!

4 comments:

  1. That part of Australia has to be a bit like northern Canada! You may need some new outerwear. At least you arrived when the weather will be getting warmer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, well, I doubt it's anywhere near that cold! I'm used to cold like this (a little above freezing) for short periods of ~16 hours while working on Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa, and have clothes for it (though I may indeed need a few more), I'm just not used to it staying cold around the clock.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Whenever you want, though I'm just renting a room in someone else's house at the moment so you'll need to find your own place. :)

      Delete

Think I said something interesting or insightful? Let me know what you thought! Or even just drop in and say "hi" once in a while - I always enjoy reading comments.