Friday, September 23, 2016

Turns out Geckos are Similar to Cats

I was cleaning out pictures from the past few months from my phone yesterday, and stumbled upon a video I'd taken and forgotten about. I'd found a gecko on my monitor, and decided to see if it would notice my mouse pointer. It did. It was really cute. I couldn't resist making the following video out of the footage:


The gecko in the video is a gold dust day gecko, originally native to Madagascar and some of the surrounding islands, but introduced to Hawaii and other Pacific islands relatively recently. They're by far the most common species of gecko I see around here (there're maybe ten or so species of gecko found in the island chain). They like living in and around houses and are active during the day, which helps, though I'd never actually seen one around my computer before; usually I see them on the lanai or in the kitchen.

I found a few more pictures I'll probably want to post soon-ish, plus I still need to get around to looking at the pictures from my trip to Volcanoes National Park on Labor Day…

2 comments:

  1. Tears of laughter! Thanks for posting. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, glad you enjoyed it! It's hard to see in the video, but it kept trying to lick the cursor. :)

      Delete

Think I said something interesting or insightful? Let me know what you thought! Or even just drop in and say "hi" once in a while - I always enjoy reading comments.