Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Hau‘oli Makahiki Hou!

Or “Happy New Year” if you don't know Hawaiian. The year ‘elua (two) kaukani (thousand) ‘umikūmālima (fifteen), to be precise. I'm back in Hawaii after a three-week trip to visit my family, enjoying the warm weather again and recovering from a mild but extremely persistent bug I picked up the last few days I was there.

While in California we took a trip to the Palomar Observatory, home to the venerable 200-inch (5.08 meter) Hale Telescope, which was the largest optical telescope in the world from 1949 to 1992 (when the first of the two identical Keck telescopes was built).

I forgot to get a picture of the telescope itself, but I remembered to at least get a picture of the dome:

Me in front of the Hale Telescope dome.
You can't tell from the picture, but it was bitterly cold up there. The telescope is at an altitude of 5,617 feet (1,712 m), and there was a glacial wind whipping by the entire time we were up there. I mention it because I decided to take my warm hat off for the picture, and very quickly found myself wishing I hadn't done so.

Anyway, here's wishing you all a pleasant new year! A hui hou!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Think I said something interesting or insightful? Let me know what you thought! Or even just drop in and say "hi" once in a while - I always enjoy reading comments.