Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Hilo Rodeo

This past Sunday afternoon I headed up to the local rodeo, the Panaewa Stampede, for a couple hours with some friends from work. I forgot to bring my camera, but I was able to get a few pictures with my phone. I sat through several events over the time I was there, including variations on solo and team roping, bronco riding, that sort of thing.

One interesting (and highly entertaining) event, called “double mugging,” was billed by the program as unique to Hawai‘i. This event involves one cowboy on horseback, one on foot, and one steer. The guy on horseback has to rope the steer, then the guy on the ground has to run up and tackle him.


Then the guy on the horse has to jump off and together they have to wrestle the steer to the ground and tie three of his legs together with a knot that holds for six seconds.


As someone who's had a lot of dealings with steers I found the entire thing absolutely hilarious.


The steers themselves often looked like they were enjoying themselves; usually right after they found themselves tied and unable to get up they would give up trying and simply look around with a bemused expression until the cowboys let them up.


I also saw the woman's barrel racing during the time I was there, I believe the lady in the video below ended up being the champion with the lowest time.


All in all it was a lot of fun, and I'm glad I went. It was good weather for the event, cloudy and cool but not raining. It was also a fairly good-sized event in terms of number of competitors. I was aware beforehand that there are quite a few cowboys (and girls) up on the cattle ranches by Waimea on the north slopes of Mauna Kea, but I was a little surprised that an event in Hilo would be so well attended. A fun experience overall. A hui hou!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Think I said something interesting or insightful? Let me know what you thought! Or even just drop in and say "hi" once in a while - I always enjoy reading comments.