Saturday, March 31, 2012

Two Clusters for the Price of One.

I was digging through my astrophotography folder recently and discovered a picture of the Double Cluster in Persues I'd taken last November that I hadn't reduced yet. I speedily corrected that, and now have a picture of the Double Cluster for your perusal.

The Double Cluster is a pair of open clusters cataloged as NGC 884 and NGC 869, respectively. (They also have the older names of χ Persei [that's the Greek letter chi] and h Persei.) Located in the constellation Perseus, they appear very close to each other on the sky. These two clusters are pretty easisly visible as a faint misty patch close to the border with Andromeda. They are located at distances of 7,600 and 6,800 light-years from Earth, so they are also not too far apart in space.

Anyway, enough exposition, have a picture!

NGC 884 (left) and NGC 869 (right), the Double Cluster in Perseus.

Being open clusters, there really isn't that much more I can think to say about them (since they don't have any stand-out features like a planetary nebula in from of them). They were apparently known from at least as early as 130 B.C. (though what they were wasn't know, of course). William Herschel, of Uranus-discovering fame, was apparently the first person to realize that they were two distinct clusters instead of one. Interestingly, they don't have a Messier number, so Messier either never came upon them, or, more likely, found them sufficiently obviously un-comet-like that he felt no need to include them in his list. Considering they can be made out with the naked eye, I'm guessing the latter is more likely.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Think I said something interesting or insightful? Let me know what you thought! Or even just drop in and say "hi" once in a while - I always enjoy reading comments.