Monday, July 11, 2011

Globular Cluster Photo Series (Part 6): M28

Today I have an image of the globular cluster Messier 28 for your perusal. M28 is located in Sagittarius not too far on the sky from M22 between 18,000 and 19,000 light years away, with 18,300 being the closest figure I could find. It's the smallest globular cluster I've shown yet, only about 60 light years in diameter.

Messier 28 in Sagittarius.

Its apparent diameter is a miniscule 11.2 arcminutes, making this also the smallest globular cluster by size on the sky that I've shown - the full moon would appear about three times as wide as this cluster. M28 has the distinction of being the second globular cluster where a millisecond pulsar was found (the first was M4, the first in my photo series). It is now known to contain 8 such pulsars. Other than that, I don't have too much to say about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Think I said something interesting or insightful? Let me know what you thought! Or even just drop in and say "hi" once in a while - I always enjoy reading comments.