Tuesday, August 4, 2020

Baking Cinnamon Rolls

This weekend I made some cinnamon rolls using a recipe from a friend, and they turned out pretty good. I think this is the first time I've done some proper baking with proper dough and yeast for…three years, perhaps? I took some pictures during the process and thought I'd show 'em off.

Here's the dough after letting it rise for an hour.
It's been so long since I last mixed up a proper dough. It's funny how the smells come back to you, like the way the yeast smells. I also have a ton of yeast left over now since the smallest package of it I could find was a half-kilogram, so I guess I need to do some more baking soon. I had a hankering for runzas just the other day…

Cutting up the rolled-up log of dough with the cinnamon mix inside.
This part reminded me of watching videos during tours of the Jelly Belly factory about how they make those little taffies with the pictures inside, by rolling up logs of ingredients and cutting across them.

Putting the rolls in the pan…

…and a half-hour later, when they'd risen some more and filled up the space.

Finally, baked, frosted, and sampled!
The frosting didn't work out quite so well unfortunately, as the butter wasn't softened all the way through. Which left little lumps of butter which later melted once spread over the piping hot rolls, visible here as the yellowish regions. Thankfully it doesn't seem to have affected the taste, these do indeed taste delectable. I left them in the oven a few minutes too long so they came out a bit more “done” than they should be, but I'd say they're still a solid 6 or 7 out of 10. Not too bad for a first try! I'll have to do these again sometime. A hui hou!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Think I said something interesting or insightful? Let me know what you thought! Or even just drop in and say "hi" once in a while - I always enjoy reading comments.