Sunday, August 2, 2020

A Doily and a Scarf

Approximately three centuries of subjective time ago, back in October 2018, I mentioned that I had taken up knitting and begun work on a scarf. And a few months ago (I think in May), I finally finished it! Then, because I had some yarn left over, haven't crocheted anything in a while, and was bored, I used the leftover yarn to crochet a doily off the top of my head in a few hours.

And here they both are!

When I picked that scarf pattern I decided I wanted something more advanced that a real beginner's-level pattern, and boy did I get it. Doing that cabling turned out to be really annoying, though it does look cool when I didn't mess up and make either one too many or too few rows between crossing the cable over. A friend of mine at the JCMT used to tell me that knitting was simpler than crochet and I finally get what she meant now, though in a way knitting is actually harder for me. It's true that crochet has a large variety of different stitch types while knitting only has two, but knitting is about keeping track of numbers of stitches much more than crochet generally is (at least, the things I tend to crochet) and it turns out I am pretty rubbish at keeping track of numbers of stitches, so I have a long way to go in knitting. But I do enjoy it. As of this writing, I've just ordered a few skeins of yarn online to give me something else to do as Melbourne goes into Stage 4 lockdown for six weeks. (I've never lived under a curfew before, it's mildly exciting. [For, I'm sure, the next day or two.]) I'm planning on both knitting and crocheting something, though I have yet to pick out patterns for either. We'll see what I end up doing! And maybe it'll take me less than a year to do this time. A hui hou!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Think I said something interesting or insightful? Let me know what you thought! Or even just drop in and say "hi" once in a while - I always enjoy reading comments.