I spent the final week of July in California visiting family where I had the opportunity to take a number of pictures of animals I don't see very often. Hummingbirds were active about the feeder, we visited Pier 39 in San Francisco and saw the sea lions there, and there were a lot of thirsty honey bees around in the July heat.
It's difficult to get a good shot of a hummingbird in flight with how fast they move, so my only chance was when they came up to the feeder to eat. I tried on two different days (seen here) and I'm impressed with how clear the wings came out in the first photo considering the blur they were in person. I was also impressed by how close they let me stand to get these photos. Occasionally one would fly over even closer, at about arm's reach, to hover at head-height and regard me quizzically for a few seconds, a delightful (and ever-so-slightly unnerving) experience.
We were fortunate while visiting Pier 39 that there were a number of sea lions there, since it varies. Mostly they were napping in the sun, though there were generally always one or two swimming about, jumping on or off the floating rafts, and occasionally getting into disputes.
And sometime after my last visit, my parents let a commercial beekeeper park some hives on their property. (It's a great location with all the eucalyptus and almond trees around.) I don't think I've ever really mentioned it on this blog, since it happened before I started writing it, but I used to have bees for a few years before moving out to Hawaii. I enjoyed it, though I'm a poor bee-haver; I picked a bad time to start between Varroa mites and Colony Collapse Disorder (and it hasn't exactly gotten better since then), and my hives didn't manage to survive. I figured it best left to the past when I moved, but I've always retained a sort spot for honey bees. When some fell into the pool I was filling up for them I rescued them with a leaf and let them chill on my hand while I did some macro photography. It's always funny to me how matter-of-factly they go about cleaning and drying themselves before taking to the air again.
And that's it for this post. There are plenty of cool critters here in Hawaii (including honey bees), but it's nice to see some that I haven't in a while. A hui hou!








No comments:
Post a Comment
Think I said something interesting or insightful? Let me know what you thought! Or even just drop in and say "hi" once in a while - I always enjoy reading comments.