Wednesday, April 26, 2023

Visiting the aftermath of Kīlauea's 2018 eruption

Back on Easter Sunday, I drove about an hour to the south of Hilo to visit the Kapoho area. Specifically, I wanted to see Kapoho crater, which I'd read contained one of the few lakes on the island prior to the 2018 Kīlauea eruption, which filled it in with lava. On the way there, I realized the road I was driving on was built on top of the lava flow from that eruption, which was quite a thrill. It feels like just yesterday I was hearing about it (the year after I left Hawaii for Australia), but of course it's coming up on five years now – just a few days to go.

I didn't manage to get any great photos of Kapoho crater due to scattered clouds coming in and ruining the light, but this panorama from the east side isn't too bad. The lava flowed around and into the crater (leaving a kīpuka) on the side towards the camera. I wish I'd known about (and been able to visit) the lake before it was evaporated away, but I'll have to settle for this. The green of the wooded slopes of the crater walls is certainly quite vibrant against the dark lava surrounding it!

Kapoho crater with its new (solidified) lava lake.
On my way back from the crater, I realized I was passing close to both Puna Geothermal Venture (the sole geothermal power plant on the island) and Fissure 8 itself, the main source of this lava. The lava flowed all around the power plant, covering a few outlying buildings and geothermal wells, but ultimately didn't destroy it. The road leading to it from the highway wasn't so lucky, however, so their new front entrance runs directly across the cooled lava flow that nearly destroyed the plant (as seen in the photo below). Talk about a cool commute to work!

The approach road to Puna Geothermal Venture (to the right). Kapoho crater is (barely) visible in the distance.
Following the lava flow to its source, I found the (in)famous Fissure 8, which erupted in the middle of Leilani Estates, a rural housing development. You can see some of the nearby houses in the photo below, along with a wisp of steam still rising from the general area.

Fissure 8, source of some of the most destructive flows from the 2018 Kīlauea eruption.
I was, as mentioned, living off-island when the eruption happened, and wasn't familiar with the area beforehand, so this was my first time actually seeing the results up close. It's an interesting (and stark) reminder that 90% of Kīlauea's surface area is less than a thousand years old, and that it continues to be one of the worlds's most active volcanoes. Life's never boring living on a volcano in the Pacific! It's nice to be able to explore from a new aerial perspective, as well.

One final photo: a panorama showing Fissure 8 (or ʻAhuʻailāʻau) on the left, the lava flow from it in the middle, and Puna Geothermal all the way over on the right. The sheer scale of the area covered by the flow is awe-inspiring, and flying over it definitely gave me an appreciation for how huge an area was covered.

Fissue 8 (left) and Puna Geothermal (in the distance, right)

And there's still a lot more land area that was covered, and new land that was created! The area's not that hard to reach, so I might head back some time and try to get some more photos of different areas. I've been waiting for the wintry weather here to subside a bit, in hopes of less chance of rain and wind, and it seems like it's finally starting to turn, so I might be able to do some more drone flying before too long. I'd really like to get back up to where the flow from Mauna Loa covered the access road again, this time without the wind nearly knocking me over with each gust. But that's for another post. A hui hou!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Think I said something interesting or insightful? Let me know what you thought! Or even just drop in and say "hi" once in a while - I always enjoy reading comments.