Thursday, March 23, 2023

Waiale Falls, near and far

After spending most of February in stormy weather, we finally started seeing the Sun again in Hilo (and glimpses of the copious snow on Maunakea) around the end of the month. Wanting to get out of the house and go flying again after so long not being able to, I took my drone up to Waiale Falls and got there at a fortuitous time to snap the photo below:

There's a lot less water going over the falls than there was in my previous post, but there was still enough to kick up a light mist, which hung in the air around the island and caught the sunlight just right to give the entire scene a slightly mystical atmosphere. It was a bit hazy toward the setting Sun that day (I've no idea how, after how much water had been falling through the atmosphere for the past month), and the whole feeling was one of peace and tranquility after the storm.

I usually take fairly wide-angle, eye-in-the-sky photos with my drone, but this time I decided to do something a little different by taking a closer-in shot of the top of the upper falls. I was pretty impressed with just how much detail it could make out in the water droplets cascading over the edge! And this is despite still being a good safe distance away from any errant mist or spray that might want to jump up and take out a hovering drone nearby.

Waiale Falls makes for a good combination of being visually interesting within a relatively small area, not too far away, and on the edge of town (so fewer people around to make me self-conscious of flying my drone), so it'll probably show up in more photos in time. I'm sure there are still plenty of faces of it left for me to discover! A hui hou!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Think I said something interesting or insightful? Let me know what you thought! Or even just drop in and say "hi" once in a while - I always enjoy reading comments.