Saturday, December 31, 2022

Happy New Year 2023!

In a piece of good news for the final hours of 2022, I discovered an early Christmas gift in that the two papers from my PhD, the completion of which has eaten up so much of my free time this year, were officially published in the Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society on Christmas Eve. It's been a multi-year journey writing these papers (I think I started back in 2019 or possibly even late 2018), and I originally submitted them to MNRAS at the beginning of April so it's been almost 8 months getting them published as well. (Much longer than the average, according to my advisors.) These papers have been hanging over my head for most of the year and taken a lot of my outside-of-work hours to bring to completion, so I am extraordinarily relieved to see them finally published; I am, in a sense, finally “done” with my PhD. And now that I am, and have more energy and free time to do so, I hope to have a post (or perhaps a short series) out sometime next month actually explaining what my thesis is about. Tangentially, even counting this post, this year will mark the lowest number of posts-per-year for this blog, and it's hard to escape the conclusion that a large part of that was me not being able to summon the motivation to write more when I was already spending so much of my evenings and weekends finishing up papers/responding to referee reports/checking proofs for errors that inexplicably appear in the process of typesetting. With that out of the way, I hope to have a bit more time for doing interesting things, which will hopefully translate into more posts sharing said interesting things.

My life hasn't been completely devoid of interest this year, of course; getting a drone has been and continues to be a source of excitement and fresh perspectives on things, even if my dreams of up-close lava examination were dashed by no-fly zones during Mauna Loa's streak-breaking eruption. That aside, there are still plenty of awesome landscapes to explore on this island, and I expect to continue to do so next year.

And it's also true that some things in life are better when they're not exciting, like one's employment status and having a steady place to live. Thankfully both of those have been staidly boring this year, just the way I like it. That's not to say that my job is boring; while it might not be exciting, it remains consistently interesting, for which I am grateful. I've learned a lot about how DRAGONS works over the past year and have been able to make some significant contributions of my own (along with a lot of small improvements in between larger projects). Ultimately 2023 looks to be largely more of the same, and I am very much ready for it.

With that, as the firecrackers continue to thunder intermittently in the distance and 2022 draws to a close, I look forward to another hopefully “unexciting” year to come. (Though there may be some things of interest on the horizon to share.) A hui hou!

2 comments:

Think I said something interesting or insightful? Let me know what you thought! Or even just drop in and say "hi" once in a while - I always enjoy reading comments.