Sunday, May 30, 2021

Lunar eclipse of May 26, 2021

Thursday night we had a total lunar eclipse which turned out, quite surprisingly after a cloudy day, to be visible for most of its duration in the early evening. I'd been expecting to be clouded out so I had to scramble a bit, but I managed to set up my GoPro and take a video of nearly the entirety of the central, umbral portion. Taking an exposure every ten seconds for three hours got me thirty-six seconds of footage, which I've put into the video below (with a little zoom in afterwards on the Moon during totality).

I continue to be impressed at how good the quality of night footage a GoPro HERO 9 can get, especially with its comparatively minuscule aperture. While the full Moon is wildly overexposed at the beginning and end of the eclipse (which is to be expected with how bright it is), it actually works out pretty well during totality when it's darkest. I was amazed that you could even glimpse the dust lanes of the Milky Way at that point—I went out to look at it around then, and I definitely couldn't see a trace of them by eye. I'm glad I got the chance to try filming it, and thankfully the clouds only came in after totality and didn't block the main event. As the center of the Milky Way rises higher overhead in the weeks to come, I might try filming it around a new Moon if I get another clear night like tonight to see how well it comes out. Depends on the weather, of course, so we'll see! A hui hou!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Think I said something interesting or insightful? Let me know what you thought! Or even just drop in and say "hi" once in a while - I always enjoy reading comments.