Tuesday, April 27, 2021

A tendril of fire

Last year I painted a scene of a star and planet which I showed off in this post, the same one that appears below. I left it at my desk when I started working from home in March, not anticipating that I wouldn't see it again until November. At the time I think I still had some ideas for changes to it, but as it was mostly done I decided to show it off anyway.

Around the start of this year I brought it home, with a hazy idea of “finishing” it. I realized, however, that I'd ended up forgetting what ideas I had in mind in the intervening time, so I decided to simply sign it (and make a few last little touches) and declare it finished. I also don't remember if I ever had a name in mind for it, so I had to come up with a new one: “Tendril of Fire.”

“Tendril of Fire,” 14×18", acrylic and glass beads on canvas.
I already wrote quite a bit about the creation of this painting in the post linked above, so I won't reiterate here. I'll just point out that I'm proud of how I worked my signature in at the bottom-left in the star's atmosphere; writing in the style of solar flare has been something I've been interested in for a long time, as seen by my initial spin on the idea. Other than that I like how the end of the large flare/tendril turned out, those little wisps of color being the final touches I put on it. It really looks like a magnetic field has snapped and the plasma is flying out away from it. That's pretty much it for this painting, though when I showed it to my brother he may have given me an idea for another, so we'll see if that goes anywhere. A hui hou!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Think I said something interesting or insightful? Let me know what you thought! Or even just drop in and say "hi" once in a while - I always enjoy reading comments.