Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Encounters of the statistically-improbable kind.

Well, I made it safely back to Hawai`i last night after three separate flights and 11 hours of traveling. I got to fly through Kahului airport on Maui on my way in, which was nice. I only wish I didn't have to go west to Honolulu and back east of Hilo after that. (Interestingly, looking up at Haleakalā, the volcanic mountain that makes up the east side of Maui, from the airport reminds me of looking up at a mirror-reversed image of Mauna Kea from Hilo; they both have small mounds on their flanks that look similar, and nearly matching coloration patterns. Of course, a close inspection reveals many differences, but they are remarkable look-alikes, at least from the perspectives I mentioned.)

On getting in to Hilo, I had the fastest encounter with the baggage carousel I've ever had. I'd hardly been standing waiting for 30 seconds when first one, then both of my bags popped out on the track. I had them off, and was walking away in under a minute. I guess I've flown on airplanes enough in my life that such a statistical anomaly was bound to strike eventually.

All in all, it went smoothly, and I can now buckle down to prepare for the semester. (First order of business, finding another class to take in place of the Quantum Mechanics class I was going to take that got canceled due to lack of enrollment...)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Think I said something interesting or insightful? Let me know what you thought! Or even just drop in and say "hi" once in a while - I always enjoy reading comments.